Round Table Discussion "The Economic Centres of Bulgaria" (18.01.2018)
On January 18, 2018, the Institute for Market Economics (IME) presented its pilot study "Economic Centers in Bulgaria". The study is the first of its kind and was presented at a round table with representatives of the executive and legislative authorities, business, academic circles, civil society and the media.
In 2017 IME set itself the goal of determening the boundaries of the economic centers in the country. Our ambition was to "overcome" the administrative-territorial division of the districts and regions and to draw new internal borders in the country based entirely on natural economic processes. As a result of these efforts, we have identified both the strongest nuclei of the national economy, as well as their adjacent periphery of municipalities.
The study gives answers to questions such as:
- What does the economic map of Bulgaria look like?
- Which are the leading economic centers in the country and which centers are developing the fastest?
- How does "membership" in an economic center affect smaller, peripheral municipalities?
- Is there a convergence process within the economic centers?
- How can territories outside the economic centers accelerate their development
For more information on the regional development of Bulgaria visit our dedicated webite (regionalprofiles.bg)